Poached Eggs Over Spinach and Mushrooms
Don’t reserve this meal just for breakfast; it’s great for lunch or dinner as well. You may not think to enjoy vegetables with eggs, but it is a wonderful combination and a way to include more vegetables in your diet. Frozen vegetables are a good choice when fresh is not available, and it is also very convenient when you don’t have much time. This is a low-sucrose, low-starch recipe. Enjoy!
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 1 package frozen spinach (or use fresh spinach 1/2 pound)
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Red pepper, diced
- Onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 medium fresh garlic clove, pressed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs, preferably organic, poached
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Thaw spinach or place in boiling water until thawed. If using fresh spinach, wash and thoroughly dry.
- Drain and press out excess water from spinach.
- Heat 3 tablespoons broth over medium heat in a stainless-steel skillet.
- When broth begins to steam, add sliced mushrooms, pepper and onion. Sauté for 4 minutes. Add spinach and sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Toss vegetables with the remaining ingredients while they are still hot.
- When water comes to a high simmer, poach eggs for about 5 minutes, or until whites are firm. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place over spinach and mushroom mixture.
Recipe adapted from: The World’s Healthiest Foods