Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Ready to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? No more dry corned beef! Cook this in your slow-cooker all day, and you are guaranteed success. Serve this for a warm and satisfying low-sucrose meal. For low-starch diets, substitute the potatoes with green beans or turnips.
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 3-pound corned beef brisket (with spices)
- 8 small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters (optional)
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into 10 wedges (about 1 1⁄2 pounds)
- Combine the water vinegar, pepper and onions, in a 6 quart crock pot and mix well.
- Place corned beef and contents of spice packet in the mixture.
- Scatter the potatoes and carrots over the top and along the sides.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and scatter the cabbage wedges over the top.
- Cover and continue cooking on high 3-4 hours longer, or until beef is tender.
- To serve, carve the beef into slices against the grain and serve with the cabbage and potatoes, with some of the cooking liquid spooned on top of the beef to keep it moist.
Adapted from: Food.com