Tomato Mozzarella Salad With Balsamic Reduction
It is one of the quickest and easiest salads you can put together with ingredients that are available year-round, like tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil, then drizzled with sweet homemade balsamic reduction. Balsamic vinegar reduced to a sweet glaze adds so much flavor to this salad versus just using regular balsamic vinegar.
Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Reduction is a low-sucrose, low-starch recipe. Have this as an appetizer or serve it along-side your favorite entree, or top a crusty slice of bread for a light lunch. Either way is awesome.
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 4-5 hothouse tomatoes, sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 (16-ounce) logs of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced ½ -inch thick
- generous bunch of fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
Make Homemade Balsamic Reduction
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium low heat. Cook 20-30 minutes, partially covered, until balsamic vinegar has reduced to a thicker glaze.
- Cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before use.
- In a small casserole dish (8x11x3), arrange slices of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil vertically in an alternating pattern until you have created two rows.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, followed by drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Little Broken