It is one of the quickest and easiest salads you can put together with ingredients that are available year-round, like tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil, then drizzled with sweet homemade balsamic reduction. Balsamic vinegar reduced to a sweet glaze adds so much flavor to this salad versus just using regular balsamic vinegar.
Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Reduction is a low-sucrose, low-starch recipe. Have this as an appetizer or serve it along-side your favorite entree, or top a crusty slice of bread for a light lunch. Either way is awesome.
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 4-5 hothouse tomatoes, sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 (16-ounce) logs of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced ½ -inch thick
- generous bunch of fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
Make Homemade Balsamic Reduction
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium low heat. Cook 20-30 minutes, partially covered, until balsamic vinegar has reduced to a thicker glaze.
- Cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before use.
- In a small casserole dish (8x11x3), arrange slices of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil vertically in an alternating pattern until you have created two rows.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, followed by drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Little Broken
The hyperlinks to other webpages that are provided in this article were checked for accuracy and appropriateness at the time this article was written. Sucroseintolerance.com does not continue to check these links to third-party webpages after an article is published, nor is sucroseintolerance.com responsible for the content of these third-party sites.