Everything Bagel Dogs
These low-carb, gluten-free bagel dogs are perfect for lunch or a snack. The dough is pretty simple to make. By adding xanthan gum, the almond meal does not have a crumbly texture after it is baked. Find low-sugar kosher hot dogs for low-sucrose diets.
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 4 kosher hot dogs
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- ¾ cup almond meal/flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 eggs (one for dough, one for egg wash)
Everything Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried, minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried, minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pretzel salt or other coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Place mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl, and microwave for about 1½ minutes.
Stir to combine everything. Make sure all the cheese is melted.
- In a separate bowl, add almond meal, 1 egg and xanthan gum. Mix until combined.
- Add the hot cheese to the almond mixture, and work them into each other. Using a rubber spatula works, or wetting your hands and kneading it in the bowl. Mix until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Portion dough into 4 balls. On a silpat or parchment paper, gently roll each ball out to about 15″ log. Having wet hands will help from sticking to you.
- Wrap one piece of dough around each hot dog.
- Beat remaining egg in a small bowl to make your egg wash. Brush onto each dog.
- Mix all of the Everything Spice Mix ingredients into a medium bowl and dip each dog into it, covering the dough completely.
- Place dogs on lined sheet pan and bake for about 20 minutes. The dough should be slightly golden.
Recipe from: The Primitive Palate