Salmon and Avocado Caesar Salad
Crispy pan-fried salmon fillets meet Caesar salad for a twist on the traditional! Easy to make with creamy avocado slices, crunchy croutons, the tang of shaved Parmesan cheese, a runny poached egg on top and a lightened-up Caesar dressing. Omit the croutons if following a low-starch diet.
This recipe is for two people, but can easily be divided into four servings or doubled to serve more.
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- ½ cup cubed ciabatta or sourdough (optional)
- 2 Five-ounce fresh salmon fillets, skin off
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup diced bacon
- 2 eggs, poached or boiled
- 2 cups lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayo (full or reduced-fat)
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream (full or reduced-fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to grill/broil settings on medium-high heat. Place the cubed bread onto an oven tray; drizzle with olive oil (or spray with cooking oil spray) and bake in the oven (on middle shelf) until crispy.
- Rub the salmon fillets with garlic powder and salt. Heat a non-stick skillet with a drizzle of olive oil, and fry salmon until golden on both sides and cooked to your liking. Remove the salmon; squeeze the lemon juice over each fillet and set aside onto a warm plate.
- Add the bacon to the same pan, and fry until golden and crispy. While the bacon is frying, boil or poach your eggs to your liking. Don’t forget to check your bread in the oven! If poaching, bring a small pot of water and 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to a gentle boil over medium heat. Create a fast whirlpool in the center of the water with a spoon, and while that water is swirling, crack your egg (one at a time) into the middle. Once the whites begin to set, spoon some water over the yolk until it begins to change in color with a cloudy white top, and remove the egg immediately with a slotted spoon.
- To make the Caesar dressing: Combine mayo, yogurt, oil, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice and Parmesan in a small blender or a small food processor. Blend until well combined; add salt and pepper to your tastes, and blend again until smooth. Taste test.
- To assemble the salad: Combine lettuce with the salmon, bacon, avocado slices, shaved Parmesan cheese and croutons. Pour over the dressing, and mix well to combine. Place the eggs on top and serve.
Recipe from Café Delights