Friday, October 13th, 2017, Recipes
Garlic butter smothered Portobello mushrooms stuffed and grilled with fresh mozzarella cheese, grape tomato slices, and drizzled with a rich balsamic glaze are delicious. These mushrooms are filling and perfect to have as a main dish, but they could easily be served as a side.
If you are on a low-sucrose, low-starch diet, prepare the balsamic glaze using dextrose. Adjust the garlic as necessary. Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
Serves 5 or 6 as a main dish or a side
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (as tolerated)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 5-6 large Portobello mushrooms, stem removed, washed and dried with a paper towel
- 5-6 fresh mozzarella cheese balls, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- fresh basil, shredded to garnish
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dextrose (optional)
- Preheat oven to grill or broil settings on high heat. Arrange oven shelf to the middle of your oven.
- Combine all of the Garlic Butter ingredients together in a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl, and melt until garlic is fragrant. Brush the bottoms of each mushroom and place them, buttered side down, on a baking tray.
- Flip the mushrooms over and brush any remaining garlic over the insides of each cap. Fill each mushroom with the mozzarella slices and tomatoes. Grill or broil until cheese has melted and is golden, about 8 minutes.
- To serve, top with the basil, drizzle with the balsamic glaze, and sprinkle with salt to taste.
For the Balsamic Glaze
- If making from scratch, prepare while mushrooms are in the oven. Combine dextrose and vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture has thickened and reduced to a glaze. If not using dextrose, allow to reduce for 12 to 15 minutes on low heat.
Recipe by Cafe Delites
The hyperlinks to other webpages that are provided in this article were checked for accuracy and appropriateness at the time this article was written. Sucroseintolerance.com does not continue to check these links to third-party webpages after an article is published, nor is sucroseintolerance.com responsible for the content of these third-party sites.