Friday, December 1st, 2017, Recipes
Here are all the flavors of a classic Philly cheesesteak sandwich, but in a stuffed pepper variation. These peppers are low-carb and gluten-free and a great choice for lunch, dinner, or even as an appetizer.
Sucrose and starch tolerance vary. Individuals may need to modify the recipe to meet personal diet goals.
- 8 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced (as tolerated)
- 6 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (as tolerated)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds.
- In a large sauté pan over low-medium heat, add butter, olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onions, and a little salt and pepper.
- Sauté until onions and mushroom are nice and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice roast beef into thin strips and add to the onion/mushroom mixture. Allow to cook 5 to 10 minutes. Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese. Fill each pepper with meat mixture until they are nearly overflowing.
- Top each pepper with another slice of provolone cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown. (You may want to pre-bake the peppers for about 10 minutes while the meat mixture is cooking if you like a softer pepper.)
Recipe from Peace, Love and Low Carb
The hyperlinks to other webpages that are provided in this article were checked for accuracy and appropriateness at the time this article was written. Sucroseintolerance.com does not continue to check these links to third-party webpages after an article is published, nor is sucroseintolerance.com responsible for the content of these third-party sites.