10 Gut-Friendly Summer Snacks
Summer is in full swing, and with the warmer weather comes an abundance of fresh, seasonal produce! From asparagus and leafy greens to strawberries and green beans, we’re lucky to have so many delicious, healthy items available to us straight from Mother Nature. Best part? These snacks are all low-sugar, healthier options to keep you feeling energized without uncomfortable symptoms like gas and bloating. Here are some of our favorite gut-friendly summer snacks to celebrate the season, perfect for those who have sucrose intolerance or are simply trying to cut back on sugar!
Caprese Stuffed Garlic Butter Portobellos
- Why We Love It: These stuffed Portobello mushrooms are filling and can be served as an appetizer or main dish. We love the combo of fresh mozzarella with in-season cherry tomatoes.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Cherry tomatoes
- View Recipe: https://www.sucroseintolerance.com/2017/10/13/caprese-stuffed-garlic-butter-portobellos/
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Why We Love It: With just three ingredients – including heart-healthy olive oil – this seasonal recipe is easy as can be!
- Seasonal Ingredient: Asparagus
- View Recipe: https://www.sucroseintolerance.com/2017/07/07/prosciutto-wrapped-asparagus/
Artichoke with Baked Brie Sauce
- Why We Love It: We love the use of fresh thyme leaves to brighten up this savory summer snack.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Artichokes
- View Recipe: https://www.sucroseintolerance.com/2017/03/31/artichoke-baked-brie-sauce/
Strawberry Chia Pudding
- Why We Love It: You can make ahead the night before for an on-the-go breakfast in a pinch.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Strawberries
- View Recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-strawberry-chia-pudding-recipes-from-the-kitchn-189016 (Note: Skip the honey for a lower sugar option.)
Hummus and Veggie Platter
- Why We Love It: Throw this colorful veggie-packed appetizer together when hosting a party, picnic, or BBQ. Your guests will love how light and refreshing it is.
- Seasonal Ingredients: Green beans, radishes, cherry tomatoes
- View Recipe: Simply arrange a platter with your favorite hummus, served with fresh in-season veggies like green beans, radishes, and cherry tomatoes.
Deviled Eggs with Radishes, Chives, and Thyme
- Why We Love It: The eggs provide a great source of protein.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Radishes, chives
- View Recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/deviled-eggs-with-radishes-chives-and-thyme-101101
Grilled Zucchini Roll-ups with Ricotta and Herbs
- Why We Love It: Grill season is upon us, and we’ll take any chance we can to get outside for al fresco dining.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Zucchini
- View Recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-grilled-zucchini-roll-ups-with-ricotta-and-herbs-221922
Super Green Egg Cups
- Why We Love It: Fuel your morning with this easy breakfast or brunch hit made with seasonal superstar leafy, green spinach.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Spinach
- View Recipe: https://www.sucroseintolerance.com/2018/01/12/power-protein-egg-cups/
Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps with Grapes and Pecans
- Why We Love It: In-season lettuce adds a refreshing crunch. Plus, it’s a cinch to pack for a day at the beach or lunch at summer camp.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Bibb lettuce
- View Recipe: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a43570/chicken-salad-lettuce-wraps-recipe/ (Note: The green onions can be omitted.)
Smoked Salmon Stuffed Avocado
- Why We Love It: Avocados are rich in healthy fats and make a great base for this unique snack.
- Seasonal Ingredient: Avocados
- View Recipe: https://www.sucroseintolerance.com/2018/03/26/smoked-salmon-stuffed-avocados/
We hope you enjoy these gut-friendly, low-sucrose summer snacks! To further discuss your diet and test if you may have a sucrose intolerance, we recommend you make an appointment with your doctor to evaluate your symptoms.